J here.
We had this set of 3 glass candle-holders that I was never particularly fond of. I learned quickly I have no say in such matters. My decorating taste (if you could even say that I have one) mostly revolves around dark woods, leather, and animal hides. Our home does not reflect this. Emily does the decorating. I should say at the outset that I dont like most fragile glass items (at least partly) because they are fragile and made of glass and I will break them.
I have a long history of smashing glass objects and creating some rather spectacular messes including a (full) gallon jug of Tito's that shattered into microscopic pieces. Rufus got his first taste of vodka in that incident. Also there was the time as a teenager when I smashed a crystal bowl with my foot THE SAME NIGHT said bowl had been gifted to my parents by our dinner guests. The bowl survived less than 30 minutes after it was pulled from the box. That event was less my fault, however, because for some rather confusing reason (I dont remember exactly) my mother had placed the bowl on the floor near me. Regardless: I smashed it good.
Its not just me either, Isaac's beloved Uncle Butters was required to drink out of plastic cups at one of our family friend's houses as a child because he could not be trusted to not immediately break any glass item handed to him. Its a family trait.
Anyway, I broke one of the candle-holders a couple of years ago while playing with the dog. This was inevitable. I had been moving toward that eventuality since the moment those candle-holders were set out on the bookshelf right after we got married. Emily alleged that I had been overly careless around them since I didn't really like them...a baseless accusation. Emily soldiered on with just 2 remaining and they made their way into our current apartment.
Today, my little champion smashed a second candle-holder with a triumphant wave of his arms. Emily retired the lone survivor. It took 3+ years and two Licata men, but we finally got rid of those candle-holders.
Well done Ike.
While I'm sure that you would all like to blame the breaking of the object on Isaac's 5 month old motor-control, I assure you that if he has even 10% of my genetics he will be smashing his mother's glass objects for years to come.
Don't put bowls on the floor Emily.
No comments:
Post a Comment