Friday, November 25, 2011

Giving Thanks

I am thankful for:

The kindness of strangers
I now believe the world consists of two kinds of people: those who smile at babies and those who don't. I am so thankful for those people who have given me (and Isaac) knowing or loving smiles and brightened what was otherwise a mundane day. Like the grandmother in Costco who told me Isaac was handsome. We talked about her granddaughters and the origins of his name and she told me that she hoped he would grow up to be like the Isaac of Genesis. Or the people on our flight from Ann Arbor who smiled at us instead of acting agitated that an infant was boarding the plane. Or the man at a restaurant where Joe took Isaac and I for breakfast one morning. I could tell he had been watching us and when he got up to leave he stopped by our table and said, "You two are just so attentive to him. It's not often I see that. You must be very good parents." Or the old man at the grocery store just this week who stopped to talked to Isaac and after asking how may months he was said, "he's just so full of life!" (as a side note, the only people at a grocery store at the middle of the day are stay-at-home moms and retired men).
For all of the random acts of encouragement from strangers, I am thankful.

Our son
How blessed we are to have a healthy child. I thank God everyday for the gift of our son and I am so thankful that we have been able to plan our lives in such a way that I am able to be a stay-at-home mom.

I count myself among the truly fortunate to have had access to world-class prenatal care. Not only was Isaac well cared for and monitored every step of the way during my pregnancy, I was surrounded by medical professionals who cared about my vision for labor and delivery.

I am not a perfect parent, but beautifully, Isaac doesn't seem to notice. I am thankful that he will wake up in the morning and be here for me to continue to make whatever parenting mistakes or successes that will come tomorrow.
For the vocation of motherhood and for everyday that I share with Isaac, I am thankful.  
What Isaac and I were doing this time last year - assembling Ikea furniture. Thankful to NOT be pregnant (or sick) this Thanksgiving!

My husband
Unlike Isaac, Joe knows I am not perfect, he knows so many of my faults, but he loves me still. He makes me laugh everyday and has been the most incredible father to Isaac. This month marks 9 years that we have been together, matured together and loved each other. How could I not be thankful for him?
For growing up and growing old with the man I love, I am thankful

Thanksgiving 2009: the pre-Isaac days
Family and Friends
Having an infant lead me to lean on people in ways I never would have been comfortable doing before. So many people have reached out loving hands to us this year to cook for us or take us out to dinner while we've been on our grad student budget, to offer words of encouragement, to help us get much needed time out of the house or just to kick back and relax. For all of you, I am thankful.
Happy Holidays 2007 from the Murmans (Murray + Nedderman)


Isaac's first Thanksgiving was wonderful!

He donned his hoodie in support of the Aggies in his first (but hopefully not last) A&M-UT showdown.
 And had a quiet morning at our house

Then we went to my mom's house for Thanksgiving dinner
Isaac warmed up to his Uncle Micah very quickly and loved sitting on his lap.
Spent time playing
Supervised Uncle Mike's carving of the turkey
Then it was time for our Little Turkey to eat! He ate every last bite on his plate. Isaac is definitely a fan of Thanksgiving!
Luke, with a mouthful of mashed potatoes
The boys spent the meal the same way that my siblings and I spent Thanksgiving meals growing up, being entertained/startled by my Uncle Mike (aka Crazy Uncle Ray).
The audience
The Entertainer

Baby Conference
Isaac has already learned about the benefits of post-meal naps and football watching time.

We hope that everyone had a lot to be thankful for this year. Happy Thanksgiving from the Licata Three!

No comments:

Post a Comment